ATTENTION: I concluded my beekeeping journey in August 2013. For various reasons, I stopped blogging shortly after arriving in India and never resumed.

Updating this blog to reflect the completion of my research - and to convey its outcomes to those who are interested - is an ongoing process, so check back periodically if you are looking for additional info on beekeeping in India, Russia, or Germany. Even better, subscribe to this blog by e-mail (at the bottom of the page) and new posts will be sent directly to your inbox as I complete them. Thanks for visiting.

- Dillon Blankenship, 20 February, 2018.

15 December, 2012

The Wild West (Part II)

Some fine dining at Sun City in Kigoma - the nicest Tanzanian hoteli I have found so far.




Water Scorpion - order Hemiptera; family Nepidae.




Dung beetle action shot!






This young chimp was very active.





Kakombe Waterfall

Some baboons.

Classic stink horn (family: Phallaceae)... I was walking with my guide when I saw this and said "Hey, this is a cool mushroom." Being very guide-like he stopped, reached down, and before I could say "Don't touch it," he picked it up. These fungi spread their spores by being particularly smelly and using things like ants and flies as dispersal agents. I felt bad that my guide had the "stink" on him for the rest of our expedition.

Reproductive termite on its voyage to begin a new colony. Just before a rain you see them flying everywhere! Eventually they find a suitable place, land, and eject their wings. I have been told that these are commonly eaten by people living in the forest. They are grilled over charcoal and then eaten with ugali. I'm on the lookout!

Zebras grazing near Lake Tanganyika just outside of Kigoma town.

Some camera-shy Vervet Monkeys coming to steal my mangoes. Males have bright blue genitalia (not visible here).

Happy Thanksgiving! I spent the day snorkeling and watching for crocodiles.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely incredible pictures and story Dillon. I very much enjoy reading about your exotic adventures. Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete