ATTENTION: I concluded my beekeeping journey in August 2013. For various reasons, I stopped blogging shortly after arriving in India and never resumed.

Updating this blog to reflect the completion of my research - and to convey its outcomes to those who are interested - is an ongoing process, so check back periodically if you are looking for additional info on beekeeping in India, Russia, or Germany. Even better, subscribe to this blog by e-mail (at the bottom of the page) and new posts will be sent directly to your inbox as I complete them. Thanks for visiting.

- Dillon Blankenship, 20 February, 2018.

31 July, 2012

No Chacos in Britain

Cardiff was great! I successfully replaced most of my gear, took in some quintessential sites, and jumped back onto the honey road. I visited St. Fagans Museum of Welsh Rural Life where I learned that the traditional Welsh farm family would have eaten primarily oatmeal and milk (so I think Genevieve, Karl, and myself would have been fine). I even found an oatmeal bin that would be perfect for the EcoHouse! It could probably hold a thousand pounds of oats! I searched everywhere on the grounds for its hidden bee bole.. I found some piglets, a turkey, and some Langstroth beehives, but no boles.

I also indulged, on behalf of some other Eco-Friends, in visiting the Dr. Who museum and then went to an Olympic football game (Team GB, yeah). I shoved off from Wales and am currently writing from Bristol, home to many works of the famous street artist, Banksy, as well as the Yatton Area Bee Project. I visited with the founder of the group today who shared with me his experiences with various hiving styles and his perspectives on the future direction of the art.

Tonight, I am packing up for Buckfastleigh in Devon to visit Buckfast Abbey, home of Brother Adam and birthplace of the Buckfast Bee! I will be camping just down the road from the Abbey and then meeting up with a prominent Top Bar Beekeeper. I will also be taking to a segment of the Abbot's Way through Dartmoor, keeping my eyes peeled for tors and that infamous Hound.

2 comments:

  1. Yee-uh boyee! Sounds like you've recovered most excellently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey also visited the Dr. Who museum this summer!

    ReplyDelete