ATTENTION: I concluded my beekeeping journey in August 2013. For various reasons, I stopped blogging shortly after arriving in India and never resumed.

Updating this blog to reflect the completion of my research - and to convey its outcomes to those who are interested - is an ongoing process, so check back periodically if you are looking for additional info on beekeeping in India, Russia, or Germany. Even better, subscribe to this blog by e-mail (at the bottom of the page) and new posts will be sent directly to your inbox as I complete them. Thanks for visiting.

- Dillon Blankenship, 20 February, 2018.

20 July, 2012

Sut ywt ti?

I'm fine, how are you? Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts and encouragement. It has certainly been a crazy start to the year (and its still going), but I am working to settle it down a bit. Most of the crew flew back to the Phillipines today, but the officers still have more debriefing to do. I lost all of my gear to the ship, so I am going to hit an outdoors store this week to get some boots and a proper backpack again. On the bright side of it all, I made it to England a few days early!

I have been in London for the past few days, but I am leaving this morning for Cardiff, which is home to the International Bee Research Association, the National Museum, St. Fagans bee boles, and Warre hives. My guidebook tells me sheep outnumber humans 4-to-1 and I figure honey bees outnumber sheep 40,000-to-1.

I have journaled a lot in the past week and hope to share some thoughts, but it will probably be a week before I get to it.

Here are some more updated articles of the MSC Flaminia and a picture of our rescuing vessel the DS Crown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_MSC_Flaminia

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fpfalmouth/9827625.Mid_Altantic_ship_fire_survivors_arrive_safe_in_Falmouth/

DS Crown
http://marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=308089000

Burning Flaminia - I read that the tugs saw a second explosion and it looks like the fire has moved back a lot!
http://cf.gcaptain.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/800-3-635x476.jpg

Signing off from Lloegr. Next stop: Wales!

Dillon


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're safe! The bee/sheep ratio looks good, haha.

    -Strick

    ReplyDelete